These are the lovely roses my hunny brought to me at work on Valentine's Day. It was a complete surprise when he walked in the door! One dozen roses with white tulips, just beautiful!
The night before Valentine's, I picked up a gorgeous Sweetheart steak from Whole Foods! Sure, it was pretty gimmicky, but I didn't care. I thought it was cute. The display had roses all around the steaks, very sweet.
Now, this is where the fun begins. Keep in mind, I am a recovering vegetarian, so I do not know that much about meats, I'm still learning. It doesn't seem like it would be too complicated, but sometimes life throws you for a loop. Still feel free to laugh at me, I did plenty of laughing after the ordeal was finished.
I took the steak and put it on a baking sheet. Typically, I broil my steaks as it's quick, easy, and the steak comes out delicious. I preheated the broiler and got to work on a marinade. I melted some garlic herb butter and poured it over the steak and waited until the broiler was ready. I had put the oven rack up very close to the broiler earlier, and then everything was ready to go! I put the sheet into the oven on the rack, closed the door, set the timer, and thought all was good.
I went to the living room where my hunny was playing Skyrim, and I gave him a big kiss. We were holding each other, being all romantic, when my nose picked up the smell of something burning.
I ran to the kitchen and opened the oven door. Smoke poured out and flames were leaping from the steak.
My eyes widened and my heart quickened as I yelled to my hunny "THE STEAKS ARE ON FIRE!".
We panicked for a quick second as we thought of how to properly put it out. Water! No, but it's a grease fire because of the butter! Baking soda! But then the steak will be ruined! My hunny thought quick, pulled the pan out and blew on the fire and it went out. We sighed relief. Then hunny gave me the eyebrow as he saw how close the oven rack was to the broiler. I guess it was a little close.
The steaks turned out great, actually. It was mostly the butter marinade (note to self, no more butter close to the broiler. Should have known that.) that caught on fire, and it was mostly off-steak. The steak wasn't even done when we put the fire out! We still had to cook that sucker for a few minutes.
But, when the steaks were finished, they were delicious. We enjoyed them with asparagus and Brussels (with more butter!)